Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Five Memorable Quotes from Samuel L. Jackson
Before Sam Jackson explodes back onto the big screen this Friday in the mother of all superhero movies, The Avengers, I look back on some of the iconic actor’s most unforgettable lines.
From his fun family films to his curse-spewing dramas we all appreciate, here are just five memorable quotes from the thespian’s prolific four-decade career:
1) “Yes they Deserve to Die and I Hope they Burn in HELL!” (A Time to Kill): Those two rapists/killers were NOT ready for Sam Jackson (as Carl Lee), who came barreling through the courthouse shooting them both dead on the spot. So when Carl had to stand trial for their murders, he was too through with the nonsense. Yeah, he shot those fools, AND WHAT?! Classic.
2) “Where's my super suit?” (The Incredibles): Even in animation form, we can still detect the undeniable badassery of Jackson (as Super friend Lucius Best aka Frozone) when we’re first introduced to him as he frantically searches for his superhero getup. Just one look at him in full cartoon mode, and we knew we were in for a hilarious thrill ride.
3) “Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfu&*ing snakes on this motherfu&*ing plane! ” (Snakes on a Plane): Face it—Sam Jackson was the worst thing to ever happen to snakes. For real, those venomous creatures didn’t know what they were in for when they were let loose on board a Boeing 747 in this movie. Jackson as an FBI agent, up against these slimy things? It’s on. And it ain’t gonna be pretty, motherfu&*er.
4) “Everyone knows, when you make an assumption, you make an ass out of "u" and "umption" (The Long Kiss Goodnight): From any regular actor delivering this line, it doesn’t make sense. We all know what really happens when you make an assumption. But when Jackson (as wiseass private investigator, Mitch) schools us on the real consequences of making assumptions, not only did get a laugh, but we really stopped to consider whether “umption” could be a real word. That’s the power of Jackson.
5) "What ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?” (Pulp Fiction): This will teach all people to not ask dumb questions while there’s a gun pointing at their heads. You just don’t go around acting scared in front of an armed Sam Jackson (as contract killer, Jules). If he needs information from you, he’s gonna get it. Even if you have to wet your pants in the process.
This piece was originally published by The Urban Daily.