Sunday, August 19, 2012
5 Black Women Who Can Make Their Own "Expendables" Team
As the gloriously entertaining meathead movie of the year Expendables 2 annihilates competition at the box office, Hollywood is already putting together an all-women Expendables movie. And,of course, folks have already started thinking about who could fill the female shoes of Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham and Terry Crews.
While actresses like Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver will more than likely be considered (and with good reason), I've compiled a list of five black thespians that hopefully the powers that be in Tinseltown will also take a look at. Check out the choices below:
5) Lynn Whitfield. Martin Lawrence couldn’t run away fast enough way Whitfield in A Thin Line Between Love and Hate. And she was wearing a dress and pearls! Whitfield just has that commanding yet sophisticated demeanor that makes dudes want to step to her and women want to be her. We’re sure she could use that as a weapon when threatened.
4) Angela Bassett. It’s been a while since she’s headlined a major movie, but we know Bassett can get her groove back whenever she wanted to. And we all saw her clock Laurence Fishburne in What’s Love Got To Do With It? and flexed on Green Lantern as the ball-busting Amanda Waller. Give her a rocket launcher (or a book of matches) and watch her go to work.
3) Theresa Randle. There’s really no reason why Randall isn’t in every movie that comes out. She’s a compelling actress, and looks great onscreen, even when she’s whispering sweet nothings in men’s ears in Girl 6. But we’re guessing her underrated status has something to do with the fact that, even at 48 years old, Hollywood is intimidated by her talent. Give her a chance with an Expendables film, and she’ll remind you why she’s still awesome.
2) Grace Jones. At 64 years young, Ms. Jones has been stuntin’ on folks for years. Just last month she performed her classic 1985 tune, “Slave to the Rhythm” wearing a red spandex body suit at Queen Diamond’s Jubilee Concert, and hula-hooped throughout the entire performance! Although she doesn’t have a long acting resume, we bet she could still refer to her vintage performances in Boomerang and A View to a Kill when necessary. Just say the word, Sylvester Stallone.
1) Pam Grier. She’d have to be the ringleader of the bunch. Why? Because she’s had over four decades of ass-kicking experience, that’s why. She could show these cats how it’s really done. And don’t let her have to strap on her ‘fro and dust off her pistol from Coffy. You know she still has it, and it still fits.
This post was originally published on The Urban Daily.